Kilmessan Mixed NS
Mobile Phone and Electronic Devices Policy
This policy was drawn up in response to technological advances, which have seen a significant increase in hand held electronic devices (& their capabilities) amongst the school population in recent years.
• Mobile phones, ipods, MP3s, hand-
• Strategies must be put in place to reduce the intrusiveness of unauthorised technology in a school situation
• Some electronic devices may be harmful due to frequent use
• Mobile phones & electronic devices pose a potential threat to privacy & safety, as many such devices are capable of taking photographs, video & audio footage which may be used to conduct bullying campaigns
Relationship to School Ethos:
The use of mobile phones and other electronic devices contravenes the provision of a safe and secure school environment and is not conducive to learning -
• To ensure a safe & secure school environment
• To minimise intrusions on and distractions to children’s learning
Internal School Procedures:
The following are the guidelines for mobile phone/electronic games usage in the school;
• Pupils are not allowed to bring mobile phones or electronic games onto the school premises. In exceptional circumstances, where a child may have to bring a mobile phone to school, the following protocol applies:
o The phone must be switched off & handed to the class teacher for safekeeping on arrival to school.
o It is the child’s responsibility to request the device back at the end of the day.
• Any pupil who brings an unauthorised mobile phone or electronic device to school will have the item confiscated and it will only be returned to the child’s parent/guardian when he/she calls in person to collect it.
• Children who need to contact home during school hours may do so through the school secretary using the school landline phone
• Mobile phones/electronic gadgets are banned during all school related activities, including events outside of school hours
• Staff have access to the school landline if urgent calls need to be made to parents
• Classroom supervision is usually organised if a class teacher has to contact other professionals or outside agencies in relation to a particular child
• Staff personal calls are normally confined to break times
• Staff are permitted mobile phone usage only in cases of emergency
Roles and Responsibilities:
All staff members, pupils & parents share in the co-
This policy is monitored on an ongoing basis and amendments added as new technology comes on stream.
This policy was ratified by the Board of Management on 26-
Reviewed on: 2019